Will You Marry Jesus?
As a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you.
Will you MARRY JESUS??!! A few brief thoughts to ponder as we seek to move more deeply into His Love and Relationship.... He’ll never love us any more than He does—but we can Experience so much more of Him than we do!!!
True Conversion, Supernatural Rebirth into Jesus and His Kingdom—is truly “Marriage” to Jesus, according to the Scriptures....
What kind of thought, then, should we and our children put into the MOST IMPORTANT RELATIONSHIP ONE COULD EVER HAVE: Eternal Marriage to JESUS, the Son of God??!!
Perhaps we ought to give some consideration to details of what it MEANS to be HIS and HIS ALONE??!! : ) As you would admit, we of the human species have often put much more thought into much smaller issues, and have taken Him for granted. Most of us have been settling too often for minuscule and inconsequential relationship with the King and Glory of Life. Hey! It needn’t be so, as He promised SO much more for those who “search for Him with all their hearts!”
Maybe we can consider together a few of the things that make our Marriage to Him a pleasure to Him, instead of a burden. “How can two walk together unless they be in agreement?” Relationships are made up of details, not just theory—as ANYONE who has ever HAD a real relationship has discovered! Jesus isn’t a theory either! Give some thought to some specifics of fruitful, productive, ONENESS with Him? And call your children or neighbors who are considering becoming Christians, to marrying Jesus, to consider what it would REALLY mean to be married to Jesus, that they might experience the full magnitude of ALL of the new, full Life in Him? Anything less than marriage to Him will just result in poverty, or spiritual and emotional hype, or a lucky rabbit’s foot of religion and human culture. The REAL thing involves detail, as our brothers spoke of so energetically, carried along by the Spirit of Christ, in writing the Scriptures!
Let’s go There! Then we’ll experience “on earth, as it is in Heaven” in our intimacy with Him! Another word for all that’s below is... FAITH. Faith that He is who He is, and means what He says, and is Trustworthy beyond comprehension. We can act on that, without fear, without guilt, and with total peace and affection for the One who has Chosen to bend His knee and propose to us! We CAN lay it all at His feet, and experience HIM.
Will we MARRY Jesus? How could we refuse??!! Of course, as in any relationship, we’ll have to mesh with some things that are Him and His. We’ll want to work out some details in our desire to “be very careful how we build” in Him. Of course! Every relationship is like that! But THIS GUY is really worth it!!
“And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this.”
“As a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you.”
“For I am jealous of you with God’s own jealousy, because I promised you in marriage to one husband, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ.”
“For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage.... So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God.”
“You are not your own—you were bought for a price.”
“And suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it?”
“Now this is eternal life: that they may Know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.”
“‘The two will become one flesh.’ This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and His Chosen.”
1. What will our home be like, Jesus? Where will we call home? If I give my life totally to you, am I afraid of where you’ll have me live? Will you want me to live with you and others in another country or another city than what I might have chosen for myself? What’s important to ME? That doesn’t seem like a very big question when I am in love with you. Trees, mountains, a front porch swing, a large backyard... OR a dirt floor and thatched roof. I only want to be where you are, and would never EVER want to sacrifice that, for foolish externals. YOU are my mountains, and winding brooks, my large back yard! Jesus, I will TRUST YOU, and let you direct my path. YOU are my security. I will not covet or be afraid. I love you. I’ll follow you, the Lamb wherever you go, and wherever and however it would please you that I be!
2. How much money will we have, Jesus? Is that to be a factor in my decision to be in love with you, and give you my all? Oh, NEVER! Next year, or ten years from now... do I have expectations of what I’ll have, or how comfortable life will be? Will we live in poverty? Without all of the trimmings and possessions I desire? Maybe I’ll have plenty, and perhaps not. Do I need any promises from you about my standard of living now, or in my elderly years? Do I need assurances for my college or job status or “retirement years” in order to abandon myself for the next billion years into your arms in marriage to you? How much money do YOU want us to have “saved aside” or “targeted” for a rainy day? “Vacations”? Vacate WHAT? Where do YOU want us to be? “Insurance”? IS there such a thing, except your Love? It’s YOUR money, and I will not have any golden calves competing for what is yours alone. I will not have “separate accounts”—and then just “transfer” funds to yours when I want to be “generous” or “sacrificial.” May we not even have a “joint account.” It’s all yours. I’ll follow your lead, and listen for your voice. By your guidance and wisdom and my self-restraint in you, I won’t allow debt to be my master. No man can serve two masters, and I want YOU. I know I don’t know how easy it will ever be, but I’ll wait on your love and provision. I Believe in your “cattle on a thousand hills”—and “how much more all things”—kind of love. For richer, or for poorer. I only want to be with you, no matter what.
3. How will we communicate with one another? How can a relationship of any kind not have the most excellent of communication?! I was created for your pleasure, so I’m here to listen. I will listen for you at all times. In the crowds, in the busyness, in the painful times and during exhilarating events and circumstances. I’ll listen to you through circumstances and through others who are yours. I’ll pay attention to the whispers and dreams. I’ll be appreciative of correction, and learn to hear you better through it. If you’re not saying what I “want” you to say, I’ll allow you to capture my heart rather than react at you or judge your motives or commitment to me. AND, I’ll be clear and concise and thorough when I tell you all that I’m thinking. I won’t play games with you by being whiny or mopey. I won’t shrink back from you without telling you what I’m thinking and opening my hands to you. No cold shoulders and no hide-and-seek. We’ll just talk, and we’ll work it out. I’m listening. I’m open. I’m soft. I’m yours. No relationship has ever been real and alive where those involved did not reveal, from the heart who they are. So, no subject is “off limits” with you. My past or my present or my future... they’re all yours, freely. I won’t be embarrassed, because I know your love is bigger than that, and secrets will only hurt us. I’m done hiding. I’ve found true love in you.
4. Is there competition from other things and other persons for my affections for you? Material things—arrangements and rearrangements of molecules and atoms... should THOSE be attractive to me, and take my time and allegiance and affections?! Or those who are not part of you, not washed by the regeneration of your Spirit, not living for YOU and no longer for themselves—should they press my decisions and take my loyalties and affections? May it never be so again. How will I act when others try to turn my head and hearts toward them? Will I be jealous of my love for you, and energetically say “NO!”—no matter how I think I “feel” at that moment? Will I dress ONLY for you? And make my choices about health and food and appearance ONLY for you—rather than for what I can get for myself—by drawing attention to myself? My purchases and time—do they flow out of love for myself and the world, or are they bathed in my love for YOU? I know what I want, now. And I know that’s the kind of loyal companion you want for your own. I want to be that person, for YOU!
5. My job, my occupation—it’s only my means of acquiring money to feed and clothe myself and others, and to advance your Life and Way. Whatever you desire for me to do “for a living” is Right, and I’ll do it for you. “Heartily.” “A cheerful giver.” It’s NOT for my ego and security any longer. And, if there is something that desires to steal my affections or turn me away from an extravagant and continual hand-in-hand walk with you... I will walk away from that job, regardless of personal or financial costs. My “career” means nothing to me compared to my love for you. How much time will I spend on it? What types of coworkers and environment is best for my walk with you? Do you smell “ambition” in me? I don’t have to take that promotion or relocate. I don’t have to “use my education,” (ha!) and I don’t have to make a lot of money. I will seek first your Kingdom, and live THERE, regardless of “career” attractions. Whatever comes, comes. Excellence is one thing—but I will not hide behind that for self-life motives again. I will seek your Righteousness. I won’t hide behind anything. A doorkeeper or busboy or laborer is far better than any job I could ever aspire to or any wage I could ever attain. In my marriage to you, I will do whatever you desire for me to do, to best enhance my relationship with you and make me a useful vessel in your Work. Don’t let me fool myself! I’m easily fooled, you know. But, love me past it!
6. I know, if I’m ever REALLY going to know you and those who are yours, I must be comfortable with giving and receiving love. That’s not always easy for me, you know. I know I cannot be “shy” or “awkward,” and enjoy you and those you live within. I know I don’t choose my companions and relatives—you do that. So, help me to be vulnerable, and open to give love, as well as soft to receive it! I know this is essential. Teach me to be like you, and to see the good, help the weak, oppose the unrighteous, love the helpless, and to see the invisible—connecting in that place where flesh and comfort mean nothing. Let me see and feel exactly as you do, and be vulnerable to experience your teaching in this through others, nothing hidden.
7. What about the “culture” that you would have me live within? Most arguments or disappointments in any relationship are really, at the bottom of it, about power and control and selfish desires. I don’t want to be like that with anyone, especially YOU, Jesus! I know it will be demanding in some ways, since my prideful independence has been so ingrained in me, and your ways are SO different than the world’s! Like the street person who has never worn shoes or had a roof over his head, protection and truth feel so “confining” at times. But I know I can never learn to RUN, if I don’t learn how to wear those shoes that feel so confining at first. Teach me your ways! I want to be where you are! Any change of culture, even in the worldly sense, involves a change of food and housing and clothing style, and many other things. The smells and sounds and ways are so different! Likewise, when a child is born into a family, EVERYTHING changes—from sleep habits to traveling to expenses and conveniences and personal pleasures of many kinds. But OH the rewards! How much MORE will YOUR “culture” be changing me from my self-serving, do-what-I-please life, to the culture of the Kingdom of God? If there IS no change, it can’t be YOU! Everything about how I make decisions, where I go, who my affections go to and who my family is, and the world’s view of “holidays” and “rights” and “desires”... ALL come into question with you, since those who love the world and the things of the world are your enemies. So, I know my marriage to you includes this process of a shift of values and culture from that which was handed down to me—that which my flesh craves. And that’s okay. “Where you go, I will go.” Even if I have “nowhere to lay my head” and must “stretch out my hands, and someone else will dress me and lead me where ‘I’ do not wish to go.” That’s okay. I only want to be with you.
8. How will I handle the problems that come up? Will I have a “right” to be angry, or pout, or demand my way? Or will I hold hands with you while I work it out patiently and courageously? How will I choose to be, when difficulties arise? I know how YOU are, and I want to be like THAT. : )
Ohhhh, I SO look forward to this Journey all the way into the most full expression of Eternity with YOU, Jesus!!! In this Life and the Life to come!!! What an Adventure!!!